Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Guiding Light

Just a quick little ditty tonight before my beloved Dallas Mavericks take on the Los Angeles Lakers...

On my way home from volunteering at the shelter tonight, I watched as a steady German Shepherd Dog led her charge, a vision-impaired older lady, down the stairs into the subway. That dog guided the lady through unbelievable foot traffic and navigated down to the correct platform without so much as a wrong step. Granted, both the dog and the woman were following another vision-impaired gentleman (I say vision-impaired because I have no idea how blind they were) with a guide stick, but it was still a sight to behold. It made me so emotional that I started tearing up. I know that these dogs are rigorously trained before they are given to a disabled person, but guide dogs, assistance dogs and therapy dogs truly are special creatures. They quietly aide their 'masters', without question, for as long as they are able. And best of all, they expect nothing in return except a grateful pat, good food and a warm bed at night. We could all stand to learn a little from their attitudes about life.

No comments:

Post a Comment