Thursday, March 11, 2010

Care to Share

Yesterday I went up to the shelter where I volunteer for the first time in about two weeks, and I spent the majority of my time sitting on the floor, loving on some kitties. There are literally hundreds of cats there, most of them sitting by themselves in tiny little cages. It breaks my heart that they have to live like that, but I will say that these 'kitty condos' are like luxury apartments compared to the ones in most other shelters. My own Fiona lived in one of those things for two years before I took her home. It may seem like a trivial thing, to come and cuddle a cat, or even to let her out of her cage to stretch on the floor. But let me assure you, it's vital to the adoption of these cats. They more they are handled and loved, they happier they are, and the more likely they are to show themselves in a positive light when a potential adopter stops by to say hello. So if you live near a shelter, please become a volunteer. Don't let these poor animals waste away without someone to love them. Who knows, you might fall in love and bring one home with you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment